Thursday, May 13, 2010

Giant Oily Turk



Okay, take a goooood look at that character. And yes, I mean the man. If you're not like me (that is to say, normal), then you're probably asking a lot of questions, most of them consisting of four letter words. "What. The. Hell." you're probably thinking. "A giant red man with some weird swimming-cap, little girls wearing the same cap and a woman in the background? Dude, this alone should be able to get people to stop using drugs."

I introduce to you Hakan, of the video game Super Street Fighter 4! And yes, that thing on his head is actually his hair. Those little girls are his daughters, so that means that they're not wearing helmets either. Oh, and that woman in the background is his wife, because unattractive women don't exist in the Street Fighter universe.

Alright, I should probably tell you a little more about who this guy is. As most people already know, Street Fighter games revolve around an international fighting tournament called "The World Warrior Tournament", and as you can guess, the characters are from all around the world, usually utilizing a style respective to their nation.
Recently, they came up with a truly awesome idea; a man from Turkey, who uses Turkish oil wrestling as his style! Genius! Here's his trailer, in order to make your head explode with the sheer amount of awesome.

As you can see, his moves are rather... suggestive. But hey, the Russian wrestler, Zangief, has been guilty of that since Street Fighter 2!
Plus, his catchphrase on the trailer, "Looks like it's time to oil up!" can be taken the wrong way with ease. Hell, if you had a mind half as dirty as mine, a thousand sex jokes instantly popped into your head the moment you finished watching the trailer. He's even become something of an inside joke.

Nonetheless, I think Hakan is an awesome character and they really used their imagination on this one, and it got me interested in oil wrestling.

But I must ask, why do half the fans of the game (the other half love him) hate him so much? They find him "ridiculous" or "stupid" or any other meaning of said words! Basically, they're telling me they're okay with a game that...

...has a stretchy and bald Indian guy (who, by the way, also has a hot wife)...


... a loud-mouthed, obese, kung fu master biker (for the record, he has a hot girlfriend)...


... and a Mexican chef/wrestler...




... but a giant oily Turk with an unusual haircut somehow crossed the line? Don't get me wrong, I love the characters I mentioned above and in the hands of a good writer, anything can be taken seriously. But if you can take those guys seriously, you can take a Turkish oil wrestler seriously, dammit! *sigh* People just don't like change, I suppose. That's why there are so many headswaps of the main character, Ryu, in the game and why his token headswap, Ken, is so damn popular. Okay, I can't resist this joke...

Ken and Ryu: Totally not gay.

I'm sorry, that wasn't very PC of me! I just couldn't resist! Yeah, I know I just made a joke like that, despite the fact that I just spent all this time talking about a muscular oily dude who was given seven daughters and a wife JUST to show the American audience that he's not gay, but still...

Anyways, the the thing I'm trying to say is that oddity is a gift and giant oily Turks are awesome.

"Looks like it's time to oil up!" - Hakan

No comments:

Post a Comment